Friday, August 15, 2008

under the stars

Last night a couple friends and I headed over to Balboa Park to watch The Parent Trap (the Hayley Mills version--no Lindsay Lohan for us!) out on the lawn by the San Diego Museum of Art. It was, I think, the quintessential summer night. Hundreds of people covered the grass, sitting on blankets and camping chairs, sipping wine and eating cheese and crackers. Dogs hovered on their leashes, yearning to sniff around and see what goodies the neighbors had brought for the event.

There were a some clouds in the sky, and as the movie started, the moon rose up between the eucalyptus trees over the museum. Big, white, and luminous, it shifted across the backdrop of cloud, like a pearl against gray silk.

Unanimous laughter spilled across the lawn at all the funny lines. Some people talked back to the characters in the movie.

It was sensational.

1 comment:

Tamara Jackson said...

I also was struck by the moon's unique beauty that night...

I remember when I woke up (haha) and went over the throw my trash away, I turned around to say something to you guys and all I saw was this white ball of light. As if slapped by its brightness, my face jolted backward and I was stupified.

I agree, it was a sensational night :)