Thursday, May 20, 2010

sometimes things don't go the way they should

This afternoon was a bit of a failure. I purposely ate my lunch early today, while working, so that I could use my one-hour break to go have the oil in my car changed. This is a task I have been putting off for about two weeks now.

On my way to Jiffy Lube, I stopped at Starbucks. It was a beautiful afternoon, and I knew the Jiffy Lube has a couple tables outside. I thought I'd get myself an iced coffee and sit outside and read my book while they worked on the car.

This was a great plan. Until I got back in my car, took a sip of my iced vanilla latte, and somehow...somehow leaked a sizable amount onto my shirt and my pants. Khaki pants. Pretty much white pants. Right on the crotch. (I still don't know HOW the coffee spilled.) Usually I have Wet Ones wipes in my car, which would have been handy at that moment. Alas, the Wet Ones were sitting in a beach bag at home...I didn't have any tissues or anything that could be used to wipe, sop, or otherwise come to my aid.

Dilemma.

You see, I wasn't going home after work today. I was going to my parents' place for dinner, and then to a youth performance of Beauty and the Beast at my dad's church. So I couldn't very well attend with a big coffee stain on my crotch. So...continue on to Jiffy Lube...or make a beeline for Target to salvage my outfit?

I thought I would try to run in quickly and just find a skirt that I could wear with my shirt...it was black. You couldn't see the coffee...or I could take off the shirt and just go with the black tank top. The trick was going to be finding something that would also match my coral-pink cardigan, which I mercifully was not wearing during the coffee episode. Maybe it would take me ten minutes to grab a skirt and then I could still get to Jiffy Lube.

I quickly realized after entering Target that this was not going to be an easy task. There were no skirts conducive to my needs. Not one. On to the dresses...and yet another problem. My bra of choice today was lime green. Lime green. Which immediately ousted anything white. It also meant I should probably avoid spaghetti straps, since my vibrant bra straps would stand out so much.

I wandered around for probably forty minutes up and down the clothing aisles, smelling like coffee....which I guess isn't such an awful thing to emanate if it can't be the perfume one spritzed on in the morning. There were several cute dresses, but I needed to find one that would match my black flats and my pink sweater. Not as easy as it sounds.

I finally settled on a $15 plain black tank dress, which I figured I could use all summer as a swim cover-up as well, completely justifying my purchase.

Since I was in Target nearly the full hour of my break, when I returned to the car, a lot of the ice in my latte had melted, so it was a little watered down. Back at the office I changed into the new dress and rubbed at the coffees stains on my pants with a Tide to Go pen.

So. Not quite the productive and slightly relaxing afternoon I was hoping for. And my car still needs an oil change. Also, I was very suspicious of my coffee the rest of the afternoon...

1 comment:

Susan Meissner said...

yes, but it's a very CUTE dress!!And only $15! It was meant to be.