Thursday, March 18, 2010

songs for the soul

Bono said it:
It's such an extraordinary thing, music. It is how we speak to God finally--or how we don't. Even if we're ignoring God. It's the language of the spirit. If you believe that we contain within our skin and bones and spirit that might last longer than your time breathing in and out--if there is a spirit, music is the thing that wakes it up.
So have many others. Tolstoy said that music was the shorthand of emotion. Martin Luther called it a "fair and glorious gift of God." Aldous Huxley  said that after silence, music comes closest to expressing the inexpressible.


Most people I know would say that their souls are stirred by music, especially during wearisome seasons for spirit.


I've always loved music, and it has definitely been something to turn to in the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Here's my personal playlist of songs for the soul. These are the songs I find myself turning to when in the throes of pain, sadness, or just general weariness in the state of calamity and destruction of the world in which we live.


I've provided links to the albums. If you could use a little soul soothing, check them out.


The Glorious Unseen 
Album: Tonight the Stars Speak            
  • Tonight the Stars Speak
  • Hear Our Prayers
  • Close to Your Heart
Building 429
  • No One Else Knows
  • You Carried Me
Bebo Norman
  • I Will Lift My Eyes
Hillsong United
Album: All of the Above
  • Lead Me to the Cross
  • Never Let Me Go

David Crowder Band
Album: Can You Hear Us?
  • You're Everything

Fee
Album: Hope Rising
  • Arms That Hold the Universe
Bethany Dillon
  • Be Near Me

Kutless
Album: To Know That You're Alive
  • Guiding Me Home
  • Promise of a Lifetime
Album: It Is Well
  • What Faith Can Do
  • Everything I Need
  • I'm Still Yours
Jeremy Camp
  • There Will Be A Day
Meredith Andrews
  • You're Not Alone (both the band and acoustic versions are good)
  • Draw Me Nearer

No comments: